Last Update: Reissued with updates to health information.
Exercise increased caution due to crime.
Country Summary: Violent crime, such as armed robbery and assault, may occur throughout Madagascar and particularly in:
- Antananarivo, Nosy Be, Toamasina (Tamatave), and Mahajunga
- Ankarana and Montagne d’Ambre National Parks adjacent to Diego
- General area surrounding Tolagnaro (Ft. Dauphin), south of National Route (RN) 7 and RN 27 (excluding the tourist area on the coastal roads between Ambovombe and Farafangana)
- Batterie Beach, north of Toliara (Tuléar)
Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Madagascar.
If you decide to travel to Madagascar:
- Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel, and read the Embassy COVID-19 page for country-specific COVID-19 information.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Country Security Report for Madagascar.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.